Our county offices of education continue to face challenging times, and we need to continue to develop a growing relationship with California School Boards Association (CSBA). Both organizations, working in conjunction with the California County Superintendents and other education community members, can and must continue to be the leaders with a "Voice for Education" in the minds of the California Legislature. We need your nominations to ensure that the skilled leadership of CCBE continues to provide leadership and services to county board members and enable them to help every student succeed. CCBE can be as effective as its leadership.
The Nominating Committee is a special committee that holds the key to a successful CCBE. This committee is charged with seeking and identifying candidates qualified for office who can provide the best possible leadership for CCBE. The Nominating Committee will nominate candidates for the offices of president-elect, vice president, and treasurer, subject to procedures provided in the Standing Rules.
The Nominating Committee has begun its work this year and invites you to participate in the nominating process for this year's election of the 2024 President-elect and Vice President. You can help us in two ways: 1) Submit a nomination form for yourself or another member with their consent and/or 2) encourage potential candidates to run for office. If we are to continue to be a "Voice for Education," as our motto states, CCBE needs your experience, leadership, and active participation in this process.
A potential CCBE Officer candidate:
- Have strong leadership skills, including abilities to collaborate, motivate and inspire.
- Be passionate supporters of public education and strongly advocate for county offices of education.
- Clearly understand CCBE's role, vision, mission, and values.
- Be able to devote the necessary time and attention to serve as a CCBE officer.
- Must be a current member of a county board in good standing, and that board must be a member of CCBE. Candidates do not need to be current or previous members of CSBA's Delegate Assembly or CCBE Board of Directors.
Nomination and candidate application forms for the 2024 CCBE Officer positions must be received by CCBE by Monday, July 31, 2023, by 5:00 pm. Candidates will be scheduled for in-person interviews the weekend of September 8-10. Elections will be held at the general membership breakfast meeting on December 1 during CSBA's Annual Education Conference in San Francisco. Please click on the links below to complete and submit the nomination and candidate application forms and review the CCBE Executive Committee Roles and Responsibilities.
2023 Nominating Committee
The committee members are nominated and elected at CCBE’s General Membership Annual Meeting each year. The Nominating Committee is made up of seven members representing at least four geographic regions (north, central, south and coast). Six members of the committee are elected at the annual meeting by plurality and one carry-over member is selected by the previous year’s committee to provide continuity. They are expected to carry out their charge while maintaining confidentiality and impartiality throughout the process. Over the past few years, CCBE has made great strides forward under the guidance of dedicated leaders. It is the intent of the Nominating Committee to put forth nominees that will continue this tradition.
- James Martinez, chair (Fresno COE)
- Beverly Gerard (San Mateo COE)
- Celia Maldonado-Arroyo (Tulare COE)
- Heather Owen (Monterey COE)
- Jennifer Kresge (Napa COE)
- Lucy Hendry (Imperial COE)
- Mariana Corona Sabeniano (Sacramento COE)
- Paulette Donnellon (San Diego COE)