County Board Governance Workshop
This is a two-day training for county board members and superintendents scheduled on Sunday, March 15 - Monday, March 16, 2020 at the Embassy Suites in Sacramento, CA; located about 15 minutes from the Sacramento Airport. County board members and superintendents alike can expect to gain in-depth county-focused learning opportunities on equity-LGBTQ policy, SELPA's, county wide attendance and appellate role, charter schools, legislative advocacy and more.
Dates: Sunday, March 15 - Monday, March 16, 2020
Time: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (Registration will open at 8:00 am)
Program: (Agenda is subject to change. Lunch, networking reception on Sunday evening and meeting materials are included)
• CCBE/CSBA Partnership: This session covers partnership with CCBE and CSBA.
• Appellate Role of The County Board of Education: Participants will receive updates on the appeal procedures for expulsions, inter-district transfers, appeals and attendance coordinators.
• Achieving Educational Equity: This session will cover resources related to equity and lessons from the equity network focused on, but not limited to: race, gender, socio economic/class, immigration, sexual orientation (LGBTQ and Equity Coordinator), etc., that serve the education needs of these students, their families, staff and community in their role as policymakers and influencers, as well as outline what county boards can do as a result of their role to ensure their policies reflect these groups.
• Charter Schools: Fulfilling your charter school responsibilities with excellence: Understanding county specific roles, governing board policies, charter petition review, oversight, charter renewal decisions, procedures for revocation and common practices to support high quality authorizing.
• SELPA: Attendees will be provided an understanding of SELPA background and how special education is organized in California.
• Local Control and Accountability Plans (LCAP): Attendees will receive information on what is trending regarding Local Control Accountability Plans (LCAP) and what the county board’s role and responsibilities are to ensure all student group needs are met.
• Legislative Advocacy: This session covers why Advocacy Matters and how education leaders can have a good working relationship with policymakers and opinion leaders and help you to sharpen your skills, learn about important topics and share ideas with colleagues and state legislators.
Early Bird Fee $325 (thru 2/01/20)
Regular Fee $350 (thru 3/01/20)
Late/Onsite Fee $400 (after 3/01/20)
To download a copy of the registration form, click here.
There is a room block for CCBE members who are attending the training at the Embassy Suites (100 Capitol Mall, Sacramento, CA) with the CCBE rate of $179. To make your reservation you can click here, or you can call the hotel directly at 916-326-5000 and ask for the CCBE County Board Governance Workshop discount rate. Please keep in mind that all hotel reservations must be made by February 22, 2020, in order to take advantage of the special CCBE rate.